Do you want to be notified every time a job like this gets added? Click the CTA below!
You are now subscribed to our push notifications
About the role
Scientific Lead (Associate Scientific Director)
Office or Home based role across USA
At ICON, it’s our people that set us apart. Our diverse teams enable us to become a better partner to our customers and help us to fulfil our mission to advance and improve patients’ lives.
Our ‘Own It’ culture is driven by four key values that bring us together as individuals and set us apart as an organisation: Accountability & Delivery, Collaboration, Partnership and Integrity. We want to be the Clinical Research Organisation that delivers excellence to our clients and to patients at every touch-point. In short, to be the partner of choice in drug development.
That’s our vision. We’re driven by it. And we need talented people who share it.
If you’re as driven as we are, join us. You’ll be working in a dynamic and supportive environment, with some of the brightest and the friendliest people in the sector, and you’ll be helping shape an industry.
ICON Global Medical Communications (GMC) is looking for passionate, resilient, and inspiring individuals to join our team. As a Scientific Lead (Associate Scientific Director), you will build on the responsibilities of a Senior Medical Writer and take on additional project-level content development and management responsibilities, as well as account-level responsibilities, as determined by the client account Senior Scientific Lead, who may be a Scientific Manager (Scientific Director, SD) or Senior Scientific Manager (Senior SD).
Your primary responsibility will be the oversight and approval of scientific/clinical content for assigned projects/tasks and to function with a greater level of independence on those projects. This oversight will include review of assigned materials for accuracy and quality as well as mentoring and development of junior writing staff. Contributing scientific and therapy area insights are also an important part of the role. The SL will work closely with the Scientific Manager and/or designated Senior Scientific Account Lead to support members of the client account team as directed. As SL (ASD), input and participation in assigned account initiatives, along with internal company initiatives, as required, offers additional potential opportunities for growth.
As a Scientific Lead (Associate Scientific Director), prior in-depth experience with background researching, developing, and high-quality writing for the diverse array of deliverables within medical publications and medical communications is expected and will be an integral foundation for this role. Based on this and the overall description, the SL (ASD) role will fall broadly across the following approximate allocations (individual client account teams may have, from time to time, specific needs that may alter these allocations as may be necessary/required)
• 60% of your time will be devoted to content oversight and quality control including but not limited to, responsibility for:
• reviewing of assigned writers’ work to ensure compliant, high-level content and technical accuracy (e.g., understanding of the product/TA/project goals, organization, syntax, grammar, clarity, focus, etc) that requires a minimum level of editing and/or rewriting
• product/therapy area information and strategic insight pertinent to the assigned projects and client account
• fact checking assigned manuscripts (including references) and other client account deliverables as assigned
• collaboration with the Scientific Manager (Scientific Director) and account managers to help ensure adherence to agreed-upon timelines (e.g., project status reports, proactive flagging of problems, resource limitations/availability, etc)
• gaining a cursory knowledge of all aspects of project development from initiation to completion, including financial aspects (e.g., budget awareness and overages, out of scope requests/work, time management/time keeping, etc)
• 35% of your time will be devoted to scientific/medical writing and content-development support as assigned including
• Writing of manuscripts, posters, abstracts, slide decks, and /or other deliverables requiring scientific/medical writing support, for example, scientific platforms, workshop scripts, etc, on an as-needed basis
• contributing to/reviewing project specifications as directed (e.g., timelines, lead time, resource availability, etc)
• monitoring and helping to manage the medical writing workload as required
• working with the Scientific Manager (SD) and/or designated Senior Scientific Account Lead as directed to help provide scientific and medical insight support of both external and internal clients
• working as directed to identify and obtain required/helpful background materials, including from client, sufficient for completion of projects to the highest level of scientific rigor and insight (e.g., study data, client market research/plans, landscape/competitor analysis, etc)
• assisting and working with graphics and editorial support staff to provide necessary background and technical information required to complete tasks
• assisting in the onboarding and mentoring of new and junior medical writers, as required
• 5% of your time may be devoted to assisting the Senior Scientific Account Lead and/or GMC Senior Leadership with business development activities including but not limited to, responsibility for
• Background research and writing support for new business proposals
• Background research and writing support for assigned account(s) organic growth opportunities
What you need:
• Advanced degree, preferably PhD but PharmD and MD may also be considered
• Candidates with prior relevant experience in a medical publications/medical communications agency will be strongly preferred
• Minimum of 4–5 years’ experience of high-level content development and management, with at least 3 years as a Senior Medical Writer strongly preferred
• CMPP™/MAPPS Certification preferred
• Demonstrable history of relevant high-level writing support and review, including: proficiency with ICMJE and GPP guidelines; reviewing and interpreting scientific and technical journal content; knowledge of diverse prescribed styles and formats
• A demonstrable history and genuine interest in mentoring
• People management and client relationship skills preferred
• Ability to work efficiently with network directories/databases
• Ability to work with industry standard resources (e.g., PubMed/Medline, clinicaltrials.gov, various market intelligence/data analytic providers, etc)
• Ability to work with cross-functional teams (e.g., editorial/library services, graphics/digital services, presentations support, etc)
• A strong desire to be a key part of a global network of services that lead to better outcomes for its clients, its people and for patients…apply now and Own IT@ICON!
Why join us?
Ongoing development is vital to us, and as Scientific Lead (Associate Scientific Director) you will have the opportunity to progress your career, with the potential to move into other related areas to enhance your skill set. Our benefits package is competitive, our scope is international and we genuinely care about our people and their success.
Benefits of Working in ICON:
Our success depends on the quality of our people. That’s why we’ve made it a priority to build a culture that rewards high performance and nurtures talent.
We offer very competitive salary packages. And to keep them competitive, we regularly benchmark them against our competitors. Our annual bonuses reflect delivery of performance goals – both ours and yours.
We also provide a range of health-related benefits to employees and their families and offer competitive retirement plans – and related benefits such as life assurance – so you can save and plan with confidence for the years ahead.
But beyond the competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits, you’ll benefit from an environment where you are encouraged to fulfil your sense of purpose and drive lasting change.
ICON is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know through the form below.
Day in the life
Who we are